Why you should learn architecture to be stylish
Historically fashion was closely connected with architecture. Fashion style depends on the architecture and its era. Choosing an architecture of your costume you choose the way you look like. For example, you choose the Empire style, and thus you emphasize your femininity. Let’s dive into the details, which will help us to use our clothes more effectively in the future.
Let’s consider the main architectural styles and tips how to use them in your wardrobe.
- Classical style (850 BC to 476 AD). There were a precise rules to construct the buildings from the rise of ancient Greece until the fall of the Roman empire. Use the idea of the entablature designs, when you choose the top. Decorations of the upper side of the look will distract people from the other part of your body you don’t confide in. If you are corpulent, use the column draping styles, so you will hide flaws.
- Byzantine (527 to 565 AD). Byzantium is associated with luxury and wealth. After Constantine moved the capital of the Roman empire to Byzantium (modern Istanbul) in 330 AD, local architecture turned into a graceful style that used brick instead of stone, elaborate mosaics and classical forms. Thus if you look for an evening outfit, try to use this scheme. Choose a dress, decorated with stones like Byzantine mosaics or made of fabric, imitating it. Just look at Dolce&Gabbana fall-winter 2014 collection to find some inspiration.
- Romanesque (800 to 1200 AD). Stocky Romanesque architecture with rounded arches emerged at this time. Buildings were constructed with thick walls and heavy piers. The clothing in the romanesque time period was a very simple dress that draped on the body. Try to wear maxi dress without accessories, minimalism is a new black.
- Gothic Architecture (1100 to 1450 AD). Pointed arches, ribbed vaulting, flying buttresses, and other innovations led to taller, more graceful architecture. Borrow gothic ideas such as cape coat and high waist dresses. Sharp corners and laced stained glass are the things that you can mark as interesting.
- Renaissance Architecture (1400 to 1600 AD) and Baroque Architecture (1600 to 1830 AD). A return to classical ideas ushered an «age of awakening» in Italy, France, and England. The period is characterized by pomp and luxury. The round dome of the building transferred to the costume perfectly. Choose a skirt-bell and dress embroidered with beads. Wear shirts and T-shirts under the sarafan this season. The Baroque style is reflected in opulent and dramatic buildings with irregular shapes and extravagant ornamentation. Elements of the elaborate Baroque style was the great trend 3 last seasons. It is popular now too.
- Rococo Architecture (1650 to 1790 AD). During the last phase of the Baroque period, builders constructed graceful white buildings with sweeping curves. Choose dresses and blouses with ruffles and flounces on the collar or sleeves.
- Art Nouveau Architecture (1890 to 1914 AD). Known as the New Style, Art Nouveau was first expressed in fabrics and graphic design. The main idea is to wear asymmetrical shapes and decorative surfaces with curves. The plant theme is for you.
- Art Deco Architecture (1925 to 1937 AD). Zigzag patterns and vertical lines are the main features of this style. The angular ruffles appeared also on dresses Style with a low waist and deep V-shaped neck is a good idea for a very skinny girls. However, girls with large breasts should forget about it.
- Modernist Styles (1900 to Present) and Postmodernism in Architecture (1972 to Present). The 20th and 21st centuries have seen dramatic changes and astonishing diversity. Modern architects and designers offer us a variety of asymmetry and unlimited fantasy. You can choose anything you like, but the most important thing is to be creative. However, do not forget about your body type and character.
The last thing I would like to tell you is that basic wardrobe is very important. Like a building has a fundament, you should have a basic things, which can help you to create everything you want. Nobody can tell you what should be in your basic wardrobe, because you should decide it. Only you create you own basis, which will be an important part of your palace of style.
Vest: Cameo Collective
Top: Forever 21
Your editor in chief,
I love the comparison between architecture and fashion! I really enjoy learning about the history and how it influenced fashion! You pulled off this look very well x
Thank you! It's very nice to hear it!